Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dancing with Katrina

Tomorrow will be three years since so many of us began dancing with Katrina.

Life can turn on a dime and all our plans and goals re-arranged like so many sticks of furniture in a flood. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe it teaches us to live more in the moment and to remember that NOW is the only time we truly have and we had better make the most of it. Perhaps, as Joseph Campbell said, "we must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."

I have decided I will return to Pearlington, in early November, to have a look around and to see how I can be of further assistance. There is still much to do there. I will dance a few more steps with Katrina and see where she leads me.

Tomorrow, I will say a prayer for all my friends in Mississippi and along the coast. I will remember all the brave and selfless volunteers who came to help. I will read my old stories and recall those early days, when we didn't really know what we were doing, but did it anyway.

God bless Pearlington, MS.


Footnote 12:05 p.m. I am keeping an eye on Gustav. I have spoken by phone with Susie Sharpe, who is getting ready to flee, if necessary, and - of course - helping her neighbours to be ready to do the same.

For the sake of the people of the coast, I pray it is NOT much sooner that I must return to Pearlington....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home