Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Back Home Again: Susie Sharp


This is the first in a series of articles focussing on the return of Pearlington residents to their rebuilt homes.

Susie Sharp is a remarkable lady, who has inspired me with her courage, generosity and love for her family, friends and neighbours. There are few in Pearlington who haven’t been the recipient of her kindness, at one time or another. No stranger to tragedy, she marches on and offers all she can to those around her. She typifies the reason we all came to Pearlington to help.

This is her story:

"Today is another a day and it will be better than yesterday.

My husband "Billy" and I had a small trucking company in Pearlington, Ms. for 22 years. We had nine Peterbilts. Katrina took eight of them. I sold the last one last week.

My husband died of throat cancer in April 2005. We had 2-1/2 year bout with doctors and hospitals. My brother "Valery" died on my property helping me. He had a accident with my backhoe on October 2005. I had to finish the house, otherwise it all would have been for nothing.

I will survive.

I am lucky because I know a little about of a lot of different things. So I knew I could rebuild and I did. With the help from my family, cousins, nieces, nephews, good friends and all of the volunteers helping "we did it". Everything came together. I moved into my house on April 14, 2006. I cried, I laughed, it was a good feeling. Life does go on.My three dogs Fancy (13 yrs), Charlie (4 yrs.) and Spike (1 yr.) were happy when we moved back into the house. On Sunday, Fancy passed away (another set back). She was ran over by a good friend of mine.

I will miss her even though I know she is with Billy and Valery. I have three crosses by a bench in front of the house with flowers and fruit trees as a symbol of my love to them all.

I want to thank everyone, from the bottom of my heart, that helped me make this Dream come true. I knew we could and would do it, without any doubt.

I am back in my house!!!!

Love Yaw,
Susie"


1 Comments:

At Monday, 26 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came back from Pearlington, MS and I got to meet Susie while our group worked with a friend of her's, Pam, to build her house on land Susie gave to Pam.

She is a remarkable lady. We got to hear her story as well, and see pictures 4 days after the 'wall of water' her her house (as well as others)

God bless her and all those in Pearlington making a difference.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home